Wednesday 16 April 2014

Prostate Cancer Treatment

There are a number of options for the treatment of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer treatment should be tailored to the individual cancer characteristics and personal preference. Our practice specializes in the diagnosis of prostate cancer by synergizing biopsy techniques with advanced imaging and genomics. We summarize primary prostate cancer treatment options below:
  • Active surveillance: Active surveillance has emerged as a viable option for men with prostate cancer who do not elect to have surgery or radiation for their primary prostate cancer. During this time men undergo a series of diagnostic tests to measure cancer progression. This includes PSA testing, repeat biopsies and digital rectal exams.
  • Radical Prostatectomy: A radical prostatectomy is a surgical procedure in which the entire prostate is removed, including the surrounding tissue, and seminal vesicles. Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, also known as minimally invasive surgery, is surgery done through small incisions in the belly with robotic arms that allow the surgeon's hand motions to translate into finer and more precise action. The procedure is done primarily when the patient is generally in good health and there is a likelihood the disease is confined to the prostate, with the intent of curing the cancer.
  • Radiation therapy: Treatment that uses high-energy x-rays or other types of radiation to kill cancer cells or keep them from growing. The way the radiation therapy is given depends on the type and stage of the cancer being treated.  Radiation can take several different forms including external beam radiation and brachytherapy (seeds).
  • Cryotherapy: A procedure in which a portion of the affected prostate is frozen.
  • High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU): Non-invasive treatment that uses ultrasound (high-energy sound waves) to destroy cancer cells. To treat prostate cancer, an endorectal probe applies high-intensity focused sonic energy to locally heat and destroy diseased or damaged tissue through ablation.
New York City is home to Dr. Ash Tewari, the pioneer of the Advanced Robotic Technique, ART™. Dr. Tewari specializes in nerve-sparing surgery, which may save the nerves that control erection and may results in high rates of sexual function post-surgery.  The outcomes of robotic prostatectomy are comparable to open surgery in terms of both tumor removal and minimizing the likelihood of post-operative side effects, including impotence or incontinence.
Please contact our office if you have more questions related to prostate cancer treatment.

1 comment:

  1. Wow am so grateful for the good Rick Simpson Agency (ricksimpsoncannabisoil@hotmail.ca) did for me and my family for curing my husband’s prostate cancer of 3 years. My name is Geri Morgan from New Jersey USA, August 6th 2011 my husband was diagnosed of prostate cancer and he had done all sorts of treatments (chemo, radio and herbal) and his doctor still gave no hope for his condition, after his last chemo treatment on 10/09/2013 the doctor told him that he had 8 months to live. When I heard this I was disappointed, frustrated and full of pain that the one I love so much would leave me and my children all alone in this world. One faithful day my Friend called and told me about Rick Simpson cannabis oil and how it cured his 35 years old Cousin so I became very interested in this cure, my Family and I decided to do some research about the Rick Simpson cannabis oil and I found it very interesting, so I decided to purchase the oil. I called my Friend and asked her for Rick’s direct contact but that was not possible because his agency are the one who sels the oil, so I discuss with them. I contacted Rick Simpson Agency (ricksimpsoncannabisoil@hotmail.ca) they told me what to do to purchase the oil and how to use the oil I followed his instructions dutifully and now I can proudly say that my husband is cancer free, all thanks to Rick Simpson Agency for restoring my lost hope.

    ReplyDelete